Friday, January 22, 2010

Recycling Scavengers again

This morning as I left for work I opened my garbage can to find bags torn open and sorted through. On Watson Street I saw two men loading recycling into a red station wagon, then going on to loot more cans. I drove up to them and let them know we didn't permit that, they weren't allowed to loot here or tear open people's garbage bags and that they needed to leave, as police would be called.

As I got my phone ready to call, I saw two Sheriff's vehicles. I pulled up to the first and let the Deputy know what was going on. She asked if they were two women. I explained they were two men on Watson Street. She said she was investigating a call about two women doing the same thing, and then she proceeded down to where I reported the men. I don't know if they stayed in the area long enough to be caught, but the Sheriff's vehicle was on Watson according to reports from neighbors very shortly after I spoke with the Deputy.

I suspect we'll see an e-mail later in the day about the incident.

Some of our neighbors have expressed some discomfort reporting these people. Please remember, we've had more severe incidents with just such looters. They affect your property values and looting of recyclables will reduce county revenue from the program and eventualy result in higher rates for all of us. Also, if anyone watching sees a quick police response as they did today, people are less likely to feel safe committing more severe crimes in our neighborhood. Thanks to whomever called the Sheriff's Department first, and thank you for your vigilance.

No comments:

Post a Comment