Sunday, March 21, 2010

Attempted Car Theft

From Kristin (2500 blook of Butano):

[Friday night] I went to bed around 12am... and was awoken just before 5am to a neighbor's car alarm that sounded like mine (based on the direction of sound, I knew it wasn't mine) - I decided to get up & investigate anyhow Lo an behold my 2004 VW Jetta was half way out in the street (No longer in the drive way) and my inside dome light was on.

Obviously, not where I had left it a few hours before! My ignition was intact but my key now sticks when I remove it... the stick (clutch) was not in the gear, that I always leave my car in. Nor was the parking brake on, like it always is... Needless to say, someone had attempted to take my car. When I started my car, the "display"/notification lights came on informing me that a Non-Compliant key had been used. (There's a computer chip in every VW Key, specific to the car.) Basically, they tried using a VW key & popping the clutch.

There was nothing of value in the car, other than $4 which was gone. I didn't bother filing a sheriff's report; but wanted to alert everyone as to the latest event. Not sure why my car was picked as I don't think VW's have made their way up the theft list, but I could be wrong?!

No comments:

Post a Comment