Saturday, August 22, 2015

Addressing a Comment

This blog does require moderation for comments.  We had several really good ones that have now been published.  

We had one that needed addressing.  The blog is for reporting so people are aware of what's going on.  It's not for debate, accusations or vitriol.  The comment left me with a great desire to respond, but that's not what this blog is for.

So, what I will say to readers is that the comment left the impression that an angry parent of one of the criminals reported here felt it was the community's attitude that caused their child's criminal behavior rather than poor parenting choices.  

As a parent myself, I would hope if you see any child in my care committing a criminal act, you'd call it into the police and notify the neighborhood watch.  I have a sibling who was coddled, protected and excused.  While I sympathize with my parents' hard choices, the result was a felony conviction.  He's doing much better after the time in prison, but I would suggest that curbing behavior early is a far more effective strategy than defending the criminal actions of a child.

So, to the reader who left the comment, please, if you're aware of a crime committed report it for your child's sake and for the community's sake.  You'll notice that we treat all of our neighbors who aren't committing crimes with respect, kindness and friendliness.  It's a great community.  We'd just like to keep it that way, and we need your help to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment