It looks like a neighborhood watch will be more necessary than ever, though there hasn't been much interest in patrol. If you'd like to be involved with patrols, which will be safest in groups, please e-mail DPMNeighborhoodWatch@gmail.com
Good afternoon to everybody……
The command staff of the North Central Division has provided us with some very disturbing facts as to how the budget cuts are going to affect the different bureaus, units and divisions of the Sacramento Sheriff’s Department.
As most of you may know, the Board of Supervisor’s only restored 12.5 million to the Sheriff’s Budget, therefore leaving the total deficit to the Sheriff’s Budget at approximately 58 million. The Sheriff has had to take some drastic measures to the way the Sheriff’s Department is able to provide law enforcement services to the citizens of Sacramento County.
At about 3:00 pm Captain Gordon Smith held a meeting with the North Central Division Staff and relayed the following information:
· Approximately 171 deputies being laid off
· Approximately 50 civilian’s being laid off
· 3 Captains, 7 Lieutenants, and 29 Sergeants will be demoted back to their previous rank
· All helicopters have been grounded until further notice
· Captain Gordon Smith, North Central Division Commander is being demoted to previous rank and will no longer command the North Central Division
· Lieutenant Lou Fatur will be moved elsewhere within the Department
· ALL North Central Division Patrol will be removed from the Marconi Station and housed in the Garfield Station, located in Carmichael
· ALL North Central Division Detectives are being removed on July 5 from the Marconi Station and placed under Central Investigations in a separate facility
· The total department detectives will be reduced by half, to approximately 39, this will occur on July 5, 2009
· The North Central Division Crime Prevention Specialist will be relocated to the Garfield Station while serving Arden Arcade and Carmichael
· The current Captain of the Northwest & Northeast Division will be commanding the North Central Division from the Garfield Station
· The North Central Division POP team has been disbanded and permanently eliminated and will be rotated back to patrol and/or corrections on July 5, 2009
Due to the layoffs, the patrol divisions will be reduced from 325 patrol officers to 171 officers. This is very drastic and will result in only 6-7 two man patrol cars patrolling the entire county… per shift. The Carmichael, Fair Oaks and North Highlands Service Centers will be closed sometime in July. There is a possible exception the Marconi Station Service Center will remain open.
It is very unfortunate that this is what our Department has to resort to and we know and understand that these changes will be detrimental to the quality of life in your community and neighborhoods.
I am still planning to hold the North Central Division Community Zone Meetings as follows:
Zone 2&4 July 7, 2009 at 7pm
Zone 1&3 July 14, 2009 at 7pm.
Both meetings will be held at the Marconi Station 2500 Marconi Ave (Fulton & Marconi). I have also attached the flyers for the meetings so you can invite your neighbors, feel free to make copies.
I highly encourage each and every one of you to attend these meetings as it is my goal to keep as much of the community informed as possible. New information, new directives and decisions are being made almost on an hourly basis and it is my guess we will have updated information to report to you at these meetings. Your comments and input are very much appreciated; we look forward to hearing from you.
Please feel free to email me and I will forward your comments to Board of Supervisors. If you are interested in contacting the Board of Supervisors directly you may call Supervisor Susan Peters at 916-874-5471 or email at the following:
Thank you everybody for your time and attention to this very important matter. Should you have any questions or comments, please don’t hesitate to contact me at anytime.
Crime Prevention Specialist
Sacramento Sheriff's Department North Central Division